Sunday, February 13, 2011

Marshmallow-Chocolate Valentines

My oldest signed up to bring the treats for his class at their Valentine's Day party at school tomorrow, and this afternoon we spent some time together in the kitchen creating his contribution. I didn't want to just do regular sugar cookies, though they are wonderful. I thought something different might be fun.

I got this recipe from an old Martha Stewart Kids magazine years ago and we have made it several times since then. I tried to find it on her website tonight so I could just link you up there, but I couldn't, so you'll have to follow my instructions. (The measurements and ingredients are the same, but I just used a one-bowl method, and she has several things going on. I've done it her way, but honestly haven't noticed a difference.)

In the mixer, combine 1/2 cup butter (I used margarine), 1 cup sugar. Beat until creamed together. Add 1 egg and beat again.
Add 1/2 cup milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and mix.

Then add the dry ingredients: 1 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix until combined. You might want to scrape the edges once or twice while mixing.

Scoop out 1 1/2" balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

While cookies are baking, cut approx 15-20 large marshmallows in half.

When cookies are firm, put 1/2 of a marshmallow on top of each, and return to oven for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks and let cool completely.

While cookies are cooling, make your own favourite chocolate icing. Martha has a recommended one, but it is more work than my usual. Do what you know.

Cover the marshmallow and the top of the cookie with the chocolate icing. The idea is to surprise everyone with the gooey center when they take that first bite.
Sprinkle heart-shaped candies on the top to make them more themed for the occasion. Then we put them in pink cupcake liners to make them fancy, and for ease of distribution at school.

Here he is with his treats all boxed up and ready to go. I'm sure he can't wait to watch his friends take a bite tomorrow and discover the marshmallowy goodness inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Let me know what you’re thinking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...